A comprehensive list of MLibrary's databases and indexes that relate to the humanities and more specifically art history can be found on Search Tools.
The following databases and indexes are a good place to start your research.
- ArtBibliographies Modern (ABM)This database is the only specialist bibliography available for the study of modern and contemporary art. Covers all art forms, from painting, sculpture and photography to video, body art and graffiti. Full abstracts and indexing from the late 1960s onwards
- Art Source with Art Index RetrospectiveCovers fine, decorative and commercial art, folk art, photography, film, and architecture, and also includes a database-specific thesaurus.Art Source was developed from a merger of EBSCO Publishing's Art & Architecture Complete database and H.W. Wilson's Art Full Text database, and includes many unique sources that were never previously available online.
- Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA & RILA)These citation databases, searchable together, cover history of art material published between 1975 and 2007. Articles are taken from over 1200 journals, exhibition catalogues, theses and dissertations. Material published after 2007 is available through other MLibrary journal databases.
- CAA Reviewscritical reviews of books, exhibitions, and projects in all areas and periods of art history and visual studies
published by the College Art Association
- International Bibliography of ArtThe International Bibliography of Art (IBA) is an index to scholarly literature on Western art and art history, incorporating journal articles, monographs, essay collections, and conference proceedings. It is a successor database to the Bibliography of the History of Art (BHA). IBA includes citations for works published or indexed from 2008 through the present.For scholarship on Western art and art history that was published between 1975-2007, please consult the freely available BHA and RILA databases via the Getty Research Institute.
- Oxford Art OnlineOnline version of the comprehensive art reference work covering all forms of the visual arts: painting, sculpture, architecture, graphic and decorative arts, and photography, from prehistory to the 1990s. Includes 41,000 articles and 10,000 color images.
Contains all of the content available in International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance as well as full text for 100 titles, including Canadian Theatre Review, Dance Chronicle, Dance Teacher, Modern Drama, PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art, Research in Dance Education, Research in Drama Education, Studies in Theatre and Performance, TDR: The Drama Review, Theater, and many more. Additional full text available includes more than 50 books & monographs such as Art and the Performance of Memory, Avant Garde Theatre, British Realist Theatre, Community Theatre, History of European Drama and Theatre, Learning Through Theatre, Opera, Performance Theory, Popular Theatres of Nineteenth Century France, Shakespeare, Theory and Performance, Sourcebook on Feminist Theatre and Performance, Theatre and the World, Twentieth-Century Actor Training, Who's Who in Contemporary World Theatre, World Encyclopedia of Contemporary Theatre and many more.